Date(s) - 09/17/2017
Race Website: Savageman 70.0
This is another of our DO NOT MISS EVENTS. I would encourage everyone to try and make it to this race at least just to have fun.
Plan on racing the sprint or doing a relay for the international on Saturday. Then plan to volunteer/spectate for the 1/2 on Sunday.
For those of you coming to this race… the 1/2 Iron is one of the most difficult races in the world and it is not for beginners. Please heed this warning.
The international distance is challenging – but a very realistic accomplishment for most people on our team.
The Sprint Distance does not have the big hills like the International and the Half.
Also ”“ even if not racing you should still consider coming up. Normally watching a triathlon is not very much fun. The half Iron at this race is something to see, no…behold. It has a tour de France feel and energy – and some of the “hills” these riders climb will be lined with 100’s and 100’s of spectators screaming and yelling at them to not fall over. The general feel of the event is that of a carnival – and it was voted hardest half Ironman by triathlete magazine. DO NOT MISS IT!
More about the 70.0 AWESOME
Are you interested in a race that will one minute leave you gasping for breath on a steep climb and the next minute leave you gasping in awe at a stunning vista? Would you like a race where there are challenges beyond just how fast you can go or what place you can finish? Would you like to stake your claim to triathlon immortality and earn a personalized engraved brick laid in the road of the steepest climb in all of triathlon? Are you frustrated with drafting packs and bland, uninspiring courses at mediocre venues? Take a sneak peak at some 2013 race footage HERE.
The SavageMan 70.0 Triathlon is the flagship event of the SavageMan Triathlon Festival and it has already established legendary status after just it’s inaugural year and sell-out status in all subsequent years. There are many aspects that make this race a truly unique and special event:
- The spectacular race venue and extraordinarily challenging course leave no doubters to the claim of “World’s Most Savage and Most Beautiful Triathlon”.
- The Westernport Wall and the Westernport Wall Block Party is an experience unique to triathlon with a 31% grade lined with screaming, cowbell-ringing crazed spectators.
- Bus Tickets for your family & friends to go to the Wall from the race site can be purchased either in the VTSMTS online store HERE or at packet pick up! (This is a round trip bus ticket to the Westernport Wall)(The police do not recommend driving to the Westernport Wall)
- The crossing of the Eastern Continental Divide at Big Savage Mountain, a 7.2 mile, 1950”² elevation gain ascent with multiple, extended stretches approaching 20% is, without doubt, the most Savage climb in all of triathlon. So savage, in fact, that all athletes are timed in their ascent for the Big Savage Challenge. How will you compare to Philip Grave’s record ascent of 30:32?
- SavageMan 70.0 Primes: Fastest Overall Swim $100, Fastest Overall Bike $100, Fastest Hill Climb $100, Fastest Overall Run $100 (must complete the entire event to be eligible)
- SavageMan 70.0 Overall Prize Money: 1st ”“ $500, 2nd ”“ $400, 3rd ”“ $300
- To receive overall prize purse money, performance must be within 10% of the existing overall course record.
- For males, 4:29:38 + 10% = 4:56:36
- For females, 4:56:41 + 10% = 5:26:21
- How many opportunities do you have to be permanently immortalized in triathlon history? All athletes who successfully make it up the Westernport Wall cleanly will have a brick engraved with their name laid into the Wall for future Savages to ride over and fall onto!
- This event features a Finisher’s Tri-Blend Crew Style T-shirts(Shirts will be given out at the finish Line), Custom Race Socks, Finisher’s Medals, Professional DJ, Bounce House and a post race meal.
- AQUA BIKE Category is available for Men & Women! To register for the Aqua Bike category you will find it as a category of the Triathlon!
More about the region – where you will be racing
Deep Creek Lake and the pristine, rugged Allegheny Mountains of western Maryland, provide avenue of unmatched beauty and stunning scenery, and feature two courses that will certainly bring out the true “Savage” in all who come to conquer, from the competitive Ironman racer to the leisurely back-of-the-pack or novice participant. Whether swimming in the crystal clear Deep Creek Lake, riding the smooth, remote, and challenging roads of Garrett County, or running on Deep Creek State Park trails and the surrounding lakeside roads, the SavageMan Triathlon Festival races will challenge and awe every participant. If such a triathlon event appeals to you then you will love the SavageMan Triathlon Festival.