January 27, 2017
Team Z Announcements, AlwayZ Important
Please scan the table of contents, if nothing is of interest to you…please vote on the first poll listed below before you delete.
*Please vote on these new/re-run polls: Shamrock Pre Race Pasta Dinner, DC RNR Pre Race Pasta Dinner, Are you racing Shamrock or DC RNR, Are you entered in IML for 2017, are you entered in NC 70.3 for 2017, are you qualified for/going to ITU World’s in Penticton
In this email:
- VTSMTS, Rev 3, Luray Triathlon, North Carolina 70.3 entries all increase by $10 on Jan 31. Mountains of Misery registration opens on 2/2
- Team Z 2017 Race Calendar – reminder
- Team Z 2017 Race Discount Codes (and Rudy Project discount) -reminder
- Va Beach Shamrock Group Housing (need to respond quickly if you are not in a house yet).
- Weekend Track Workouts will be at W&L high school from 9-10:30 AM until further notice
- Did you qualify for ITU World’s. If not, do you want to go and hang out in Penticton, British Columbia, Cannada?
- Monday Lyon Village Boot Camp and Yoga is on hiatus until April. We will revisit our options when the itch is back.
- Claude Moore Swim Update
- Are you on Strava and would you like to be a member of a Team Z group if we started one? (I know there is a small one out there, no need to email me)
1. VTSMTS, Rev 3, Luray Triathlon, North Carolina 70.3 entries all increase by $10 on Jan 31. Mountains of Misery Opens on 2/2 (get this on your calendar and remind me if I forget please)
- VTSMTS Registration Link: Click on Me
- Rev 3 races Registration Link: Click on Me
- Luray Triathlon Registration Link: Click on Me
- Ironman 70.3 NC Registration Link: Click on Me
- Ironman Louisville Registration Link: Click on Me
- Mountains of Misery Registration Link: Click on me
2. Team Z 2017 Race Calendar – reminder
- Can be found here: Click on Me
- There are two files, one for our tri specific events and one for “other events”
- We will have some form of organization for everything on this list
- If you are not sure what Mountains of Misery is…probably don’t have to worry about that until next year (unless you are already an avid 100 mile type cyclist. If you are, look at the website and give it some tought).
Just pointing out that of all of the 2017 VTSMTS events – the races we are doing are Kinetic, Rock Hall, and Savageman.
Just pointing out that all of the 2017 Rev 3 events – the races we are doing are Westfields Pool Sprint, Salute Tri Pool Sprint, Montclair Triathlon, Sizzling Tri Pool Sprint, Rev 3 Williamsburg
**We will discuss these races in detail on March 12, at noon – Fast Track PT (after group spin). We will discuss each race and whether or not they should make your personal race calendar, how to prioritize them, etc.
3. Team Z 2017 Race Discount Codes -reminder
- Can be found here: Click on Me
4. Va Beach Shamrock Group Housing (need to respond quickly if you are not in a house yet).
Please forward all inquiries directly to Kim Hawksworth. Klarson125@hotmail.com
I have nailed down a couple houses for Shamrock – they’re around the 700 S. Atlantic Avenue block, oceanfront or a block away. I’ll pick a house based on how many people end up booking, and what type of bed situation everyone wants. The prices listed below are the HIGHEST they would be – depending on which house we get, these may go down slightly. The prices are INCLUSIVE for three nights, 3/17 – 3/20 (I can’t break it down if you stay fewer nights – unless you find someone to take one of the nights you aren’t planning on staying at the house). Keep in mind with three nights, you can show up either Friday or early Saturday, and you can stay later on Sunday instead of checking out early on Sunday before the races even start.
Please let me know your first and second choice for bed, if you’re traveling with someone, and how many nights you plan on staying. Please also let me know if you’re flexible with housing or not (willing to share a room but would prefer alone? Not willing to share a room? Etc?)
- King (room to self) – $375
- Queen (room to self) – $350
- Double (room to self) – $290
- Double (shared room) – $200
- Queen (shared room – believe this is a sleeper sofa, but will confirm) – $250
- Bottom Bunk Bed (shared room) – $125
- Top Bunk Bed (shared room) – $115
- Twin (shared room) – $160
- Twin (loft) – $200
Again – if possible, I will try to bring these down a little….just depends how many people we end up with.
5. Weekend Track Workouts will be at W&L high school from 9-10:30 AM until further notice
This is effective 1/26/17
6. Did you qualify for ITU World’s. If not, do you want to go and hang out in Penticton, British Columbia, Cannada?
Please forward all inquires directly to Dave (thank you for managing this) Coleman at email@example.com.
Congrats to all those who qualified for Penticton and thanks to all of you who are coming to cheer! I’ve gathered up some details to help our Z contingent with logistics. For reference, here’s the Penticton schedule. Both Long Course Triathlon and Aquabike are on Sunday morning.
Housing: The hotels are filling up fast, as are the houses. Anne, Ashley, and I are staying with families at 543 Edna Ave, Penticton, BC , about 1.5 mi south from the Lakeside Resort and race central. The house is about halfway between Lake Okanagan and Lake Skaha. Jimmy and Michelle have a second house, which I think might be full or close to it. Here are a couple options in town near to the race site from VRBO, another VRBO, and HomeAway.
Flights: There’s a Penticton regional airport (code YYF), but the flights could get pretty dicey. If you’re just looking to fly in and avoid a long drive, look at Kelowna (code YLW), which is about an hour driving from Penticton. The drive from Vancouver, BC is four hours and the drive from Spokane, WA is 4:30, but both are options if you’d like to rent a car there. Keep in mind that bike dropoff has to happen Saturday starting at noon. Athlete briefings and swim course practice will be Saturday as well.
Bike Transport: Some of you have bike boxes, but for those that don’t, either reach out to the team or use Tri Bike Transport. Bike dropoff would be at Bonzai Sports in Falls Church, no later than 8/12. Pickup would be in Penticton near the transition area by the Lakeside Resort either Thursday 8/24 1-5 PM, Friday 8/25 9 AM-5 PM, or Saturday 8/26 10 AM-3 PM. Dropoff after the race would be 10 AM – 3 PM.
Good luck and looking forward to the big race this year!
- Here’s the race website link: https://penticton2017.com/
- Here’s the TeamUSA Penticton link: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/USAT-for-Me/Team-USA/2017-Penticton
7. Monday Lyon Village Boot Camp and Yoga is on hiatus until April. We will revisit our options when the itch is back.
This is effective as of 1/26/17
8. Claude Moore Swim Update
I am going to have to talk with Frank (we work together with others to run L4) and then put some thought how to follow up on this. Your thoughts can be sent to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have ideas.
I don’t think I have to do much explaining when you see the numbers. But there is always a solution, I just may have trouble seeing it sometimes.
- One lane will not work for this team due to the vast aray of abilities.
- Two lanes will probably not work well at all. But for arguments sake…The cost to rent ONLY TWO lanes and a coach for a year (Tues/Thurs) is $8,560.
- 15 people responded with interest in Claude Moore’s return
- 8 people said they would pay quarterly, 3 said punch pass. Assuming 1 punch pass per quarter, and hypothetical that the other 4 people who voted would pay quarterly – the annual revenue would be $6,600.
Obviously, without a donation of $2,000 or a total of 20 quarterlies and a 12 or more punch cards sold we won’t break even with two lanes. Those numbers are based on an annual commitment – each of the 20 would have to stay for the year or we’d lose money.
Again – I welcome ideas. I would love to get this pool back on line but we can’t just wash $$ down the drain (ha ha).
9. Are you on Strava and would you like to be a member of a Team Z group if we started one? (I know there is a small one out there, no need to email me)
Please vote on this poll.