PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I MISSED YOUR NAME ON THESE RACE ROSTERS FOR THIS WEEKEND. RUMPUS IS A HUGE HUGE OPEN WATER PRACTICE OPPORTUNITY ”“ RACING OR NOT. YOU CAN RACE BOTH DAYS EASY ”“ RUMPUS AT 9AM (drive to day of) AND WESTFIELDS HAS SUNDAY AM PACKET PICKUP.
THE WEATHER IS GOING TO ROCK THIS WEEKEND. BOTH RACES ARE STILL OPEN. COUGH COUGH, HINT HINT.
Event Brite is up for both Westfields and Rumpus ($10 each race which will include both breakfast and lunch). We’ll have most of the normal stuff, but no pancakes or fried goodness. Thus the break on the cost.
- New Zs: When we race team events we will typically have breakfast (coffee, water, soda, fresh fruit, bagels/English muffins (toasted), PB&J, Nutella, Almond Butter, Pancakes, Has Browns, Bacon, etc).
- And Lunch (Soda, Beer, Water, Burgers, Brats, Chicken, Dogs, Chips and/or fries, all the fixins, maybe a salad or or other sides. Sometimes barbecue (pulled pork, chicken, mac n cheese, etc).
- We ask for people to contribute $$ via event brite to help us try to break even ”“ which we do sometimes but not usually.
- We ask for $5 for breakfast, and normally $10 for lunch and dinner unless it is something special, catered in, etc). Remember that our costs are not just the food. We have trailers, gas, hotel (where appropriate), paid help to cook/clean,
- THIS MUST BE PAID IN ADVANCE ”“ so we can budget properly and purchase the proper amount of food.
- I know $10 may seem like a lot for lunch. But, its not. Think what you’d pay in a restaurant. Then, think what I would charge you for the same thing in a grass field 1 hour from the nearest 7eleven when you are starving.
- But ”“ the real cost and need for $$ includes things people don’t normally think of. Propane, sundries (plates, napkins, forks/knives, etc), generators and ice. Ice, propane, and those aluminum pans we use are surprisingly the big ticket items.
- We can easily use $200/day in propane, and go through more than 1,000 pounds of ice. Those silly little aluminum pans are per unit the most expensive thing we buy (those, and drinks).
WE ALSO USE EVENT BRITE TO “VOTE” IF YOU ARE COMING TO THE RACE INSTEAD OF USING OUR NORMAL WEBSITE POLLS. So we offer “free” tickets for options like “Im coming down to swim”. “I’m coming to cheer”. Etc.
Ticket Sales End Thursday at Midnight: Click on Me Or copy and paste this link into your browser: http://teamzrumpusandwestfields.eventbrite.com
- Event Brite: Please “VOTE” for each event at which you would like to be included on the Team Z provided race grub.
- I’m really floored by Rumpus International”¦that could be the smallest Team Z race in the history of Team Z, even when we had 20 people!
- This race is now back at the ORIGINAL race site for Rumpus ”“ the Marina. Fantastic venue
- HUGE opportunity for practice swims on Friday or after the swim finishes on Saturday.
- There is a massive area of open water that is waste deep or even more shallow.
- So even if you come down just for that reason, do a relay and then swim, there is value in the trip.
Rumpus in Bumpass Registration: Click Here
- The medals ROCK. (or go to members.triteamz.com ”“ files ”“ its posted there as a pdf)
- The race start is 9:00 AM ”“ leave DC at 6:45, home by 3.
- Those of you racing Westfield’s on Sunday, our tough guy veterans why not the double? Westfields has Sunday AM packet Pickup.
- Water Temp at Lake Anna (warm side/reactor side/race site) is currently 66 degrees. You don’t even need a wetsuit for that.
- Temps this week are 81 and 84 today and tomorrow. 70 on Wed, 75 on Thursday, 75 on Friday (sunny), 73 on Saturday (partly sunny).
- The water will be closer to 70 than 66 by Saturday. (we are not racing on Sunday as a team ”“ you can ”“ but the support is at Westfields on Sunday in Chantilly).
- I’m serious about doing something unique for breakfast and/or lunch at Rumpass. I’m camping Friday night, probably at the state park (not sure yet).
- I’ll be coming home on Saturday afternoon to Chantilly to help Alexis ready for Westfields
- Westfields Sprint: Click Here
- Westfields is in our back yard.
- Awards are at 9 am. You’ll be home by 10.
- Rev 3 medals always s rock but I don’t know what they look like for this race.
- We have a light breakfast, and post-race bbcue. Its early, but you’ll be salivating for a burger or dog.
ACTION ITEMS PLEASE
- Please let me know if you would like to come down to Rumpus to get in a practice swim
- Let me know if I missed your name on the “current race rosters” ”“ I fly through these on the website so I could have missed you.
- Let me know if you are planning to enter a race this week, and if so which one.
- Let me know if you’d like to be on a relay (for either race, or both) (or email Jennifer our relay coordinator directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org)
It’s all good ”“ if we stay this small those of you at Bumpas are getting surf and turf off the grill when you finish. Westfields ”“ we’re going to warm up some 3 year old gu packets we found in our storage locker. KIDDING! Seriously ”“ both races are still open. Alexis and I are trying to plan out our strategy for the weekend and if these numbers are accurate it will greatly affect “the plan”. Plan the barbecue, barbecue to the plan. That’s what we always say!
Rumpus in Bumpass
Anne Marie Carson