August 10, 2016
Team Z General Announcements
Ironman Long Swims – we typically do 6 of these 90 minute swims (instead of 60) as we approach an Ironman to allow those folks to up their swim volume. For the fun of – it all of our pools will be closed during the long swims – except the last week (Providence re-opens). Tues Sept 6 is first long swim. Each Tues/Thurs after that until last long swim on Thursday Sept 22.
Keep an eye on pool closure list below and old keene mill subsitute option.
In this email:
- 2017 Team Z Ironman Poll # 2 (and IM NC 70.3)
- 2016 Team Z IM MD Aid Station Poll
- PLEASE HIT LURAY EVENT BRITE (BY FRIDAY MORNING)
- Pool Closure List (this time of year, for repairs, etc)
- Old Keene Mill “extended contract” to help cover pool closures
- Dave Colman’s “Guide to Racing Savageman 70.3”
- Miami Man is filling up – Strong Group Going – Discount Code – Flights are CHEAP!
- Hunter Station Hill (Westies) to return on Thurs of non-recovery weeks
Ironman Poll # 2 (and IM NC 70.3)
We have picked Louisville and NC as 2017 Team Z Ironman Events. If schedule holds, North Carolina will also have a 70.3 on the same day as IM NC. This would be massive for our team. As a flat race – the 70.3 opens this incredible race day/event to our entire team. With more than a year to prepare – there is not a person on this team who could not be ready for either race. You just have to set the goal – and commit to doing the work. The team and our training plans will get you there!
We also have Louisville – which is only a few weeks early so there is nice synergy for next season between major events. But – with NC potentially having such a huge following – I want to make sure we don’t end up with 12 people doing Louisville.
Vote on this poll and let us know your plans/goals/would like to do’s….this is not a firm commitment – we won’t hold your feet to the fire.
IM MD Aid Station Poll
We will be “disco and saturday night fever themed” – please let us know if you’d like to head to Cambridge on Ironman Md day to man an aid station. We have a strong crew already in place – enough folks maybe we could do 2 aid stations???
Newer Zs – The newer the better and the more fun you will have. Trust me!
PLEASE HIT LURAY EVENT BRITE (BY FRIDAY MORNING)
The shopping goes live this weekend, and the smoker gets fired up. Please do not get us in a mess by waiting to vote next week. You know if you are going – please take the time to give us your input please.
Pool Closure List (this time of year, for repairs, etc)
- American University – Closed Aug 15 – 26 (we may move some workouts to GW’s MVC Outdoor Pool)
- GW Mount Vernon Campus – currently our contract is for Tues/Thurs mornings through Thurs, Sept 1, but we may additional days during the AU closure.
- Stone Ridge – Closed the month of August
- Claude Moore – Closed for Aug 22 – Sept 5.
- Providence – Closed Sept 6 – 19; we will add additional days at Old Keene Mill.
- Old Keene Mill Outdoors – current contract runs through Labor Day,but to help accommodate our Providence closure, we will likely contract for the pool through September 19.
- Chinquapin – Closed Sept 6 – 16; note we will move most workouts to Cameron Street pool during this closure.
- Cameron Street Outdoors – Alexandria will keep this pool open for us through Sept 16 so we can move our morning workouts there during the Chinquapin closure. There are no midday hours available after Labor Day, but we can have evening hours anytime between 430 – 630 pm, as well as our normal Sunday evening hours.
Old Keene Mill “extended contract” to help cover pool closures
This is an outdoor 50 meter pool. It may be a bit of a drive, but it would be worth the effort considering the upcoming races. Many of you would benefit from the test of the longer water without walls.
Keep your ear to the ground for more information.
Dave Colman’s “Guide to Racing Savageman 70.3”
So you want a brick? Do you REALLY want it? Then do it right b/c if you end up needing a sag on this ride you’ll have to call 1-800-suck-it-up.
Thanks to Dave for putting this together…if you are racing Savageman 70.3 then this is a valuable resource.
Miami Man is filling up – Strong Group Going – Discount Code – Flights are CHEAP!
We have about 50 folks going to Miami Man as of now. The flights are round trip under $180. The race is flat as a pancake. There are International (short course) and half Iron (long course) options. There are relays. There is duathlon (run bike run). There is an Aquabike (Swim Bike, no run).
There is something for everyone – and its SOUTH BEACH IN NOVEMBER. I think that’s enough said.
The Race Director emailed me to let me know he anticipates the race filling up in the next few weeks. Let me know if you have questions about your goals, or if this race is right for you. Any question is welcome!
November- Miami Man Triathlon – Discount Code
TEAMZ16 = 10% off.
Hunter Station Hill (Westies) to return on Thurs of non-recovery weeks
This ride will start again next week with a 6:15 meet “on the hill”. NO designated start point – more of an informal meet as people tend to ride from wherever they are and meet at the hill. Matt will be the ride lead, and he’s offering to make Sunrise Valley ES a meet location if you are driving. The Hunter Station hill/loop is a short spin down the trail from Sunrise Valley. Others will meet there as they cycle in from “wherever”.