February 8, 2016
The week of 2/8-2/14 in Team Z
This Build Week #2 in Team Z: 2/8 ”“ 2/14
Let me know if you see something fishy please.
In this email:
- Important Announcements for this week (time Sensitive for Today)
- Overview of events and activities for this week
- Please “vote” to attend our Team Z Pre Race Dinners – for the Winter ending A races (mmmm)
- Look Ahead for the weekend activities
- Look Ahead for next week, a recovery week with social runs and Yoga on Monday
- Important Announcements and Reminders
- Snow ”“ AM Swim workout weather update information ”“ I’m working on it. More to come later today on how to find out about morning swim status with regards to snow.
- No Morning Track Practice at W&L this week ”“ please come to South Lakes if you were thinking about W&L at 6 AM on Wed. Give it a shot, I want some feedback from Arlington trying to get there.
- The Monday Mall Power Run at the Smithsonian Metro/6am- is falling off the group training calendar.
- South Lakes High School Track ”“ we meet on the “back side” of the school. One more entrance down from the main drag/bus loop/teacher parking. There is a parking lot only for students ”“ that is where we park. Do NOT park in the first row of spots nearest the track. The other rows are fine. We will meet on the track which is “down the stairs”. If the track is locked, we run the parking lot. It works fine, and we still are able to coach.
- Overview of events and activities for this week
- Monday morning Boot Camp – Lyon Village Community Center @ 6-7:00 AM.
- Monday Power Runs – PRR Reston @ 6:15 PM. W&L High School @ 6:30 PM (Post Arlington PR Happies at ”“ TBD at Power Run).
- Monday Swims: Wilson Pool @ 12:00 PM, Chinquapin @ 12:30 PM
- Tuesday Swims: Spring Hill @ 5:15 AM, Providence @ 5:30 AM, Chinquapin and UDC @ 6:00 AM, Audrey Moore Rec @ 6:30 AM, Chinquapin @ 12:30, Audrey Moore Rec @ 8:00 PM, Claude Moore at 8:00 PM
- Tuesday Spins: Fast Track at 7:00 AM, Claude Moore @ 6:30 PM, Lyon Village Community Center @ 6:30 PM, Fresh Bikes Bethesda @ 6:30 PM, Morse Garage Alexandria @ 6:30 PM
- Wed Track Workouts: Coolidge, and South Lakes high schools @ 6:00 AM, Wakefield and Bethesda Chevy Chase High Schools @ 6:30 PM
- Wed Boot Camps: Top Floor (above PRR) Reston Town Center Parking Garage @ 6:15 PM, Wakefield and Bethesda Chevy Chase High Schools @ 7:30 PM
- Wed Swims: American University @ 5:00 AM, Wilson Pool @ 12:00 PM, Chinquapin @ 12:30 PM
- Thursday Swims: Spring Hill @ 5:15 AM, Providence @ 5:30 AM, Chinquapin and UDC @ 6:00 AM, Audrey Moore Rec @ 6:30 AM, Chinquapin @ 12:30, Audrey Moore Rec @ 8:00 PM, Claude Moore at 8:00 PM
- Friday Swims: American University @ 5:00 AM, Chinquapin @ 12:30 PM
- Friday Yoga: Simon Says Yoga @ 6:30 AM
- Register for our Team Z Pre-Race Dinners for Winter Ending races
Each of our Winter Ending “A” races are one week apart. RNR DC is on SATURDAY, March 12. The Shamrock and Scope out race weekend is Saturday, March 19 for the 8K and Sunday, March 20 for the Half and Full Marathon as well as the local Scope it out 5k.
This probably goes without saying but any Team Zer can and is encouraged to attend either pre-race dinner regardless of whether one is actually participating in either race. If you don’t think you’ll feel like cooking on Thursday, March 10 and want to have a nice dinner at Muggiano’s with your teammates, please vote and pay via Eventbrite. The same obviously holds true for the Shamrock pre-race dinner. The more the merrier!
- We have reserved two venues for dinner, one for each of the races
- We need to confirm a head count soon in order to build our contract.
- No money will be collected at the door. You must PRE-PAY via Eventbrite. Please note that there is an Eventbrite surcharge for the pre-race dinner tickets.
- We will confirm when finalizing the contracts. So you can make any needed changes until then.
- Yes, you can be refunded for tickets purchased up and to that point so please make sure to vote for family friends NOW.
- As we approach our deadline, we will reach out and you can receive a full refund until that date.
PLEASE “VOTE ASAP”! Click on me for the link or copy and paste the following URL into your browser:
- If you’re planning to attend either pre-race dinner, it’s very important that you vote on the Eventbrite Link. This ticket purchase will serve as our poll. Please do this quickly!
- If you require a special menu due to dietary restrictions (gluten free, vegetarian etc. please send a separate email detailing the restrictions to email@example.com
Rock N Roll DC Pre-Race dinner
- Where: Maggiano’s at Tysons Galleria (yummy!)
- When: Thursday, March 10. Dinner is served at 6:00 PM
- Menu: It’s Maggianos’s. The menu is awesome!
- Price: $42 Inclusive Menu. All prices include sales tax and Maggiano’s event fee.
- Ages 5-11 $25.00 per person.
This meal will be served Family Style: Served with freshly baked Ciabatta Rolls, brewed regular and decaffeinated Coffee, Hot Tea, Iced Tea and Sodas.
- First Course: Choose One Appetizer and Two Salads. Salad options include – Caesar, Maggiano’s, Chopped, and Italian Tossed. Appetizers options include – Mozzarella Marinara, Stuffed Mushrooms, Bruschetta, and Crispy Zucchini FrittÃ©.
- Second Course: Choose Two Pastas and One EntrÃ©e. Pasta options – Fettuccine Alfredo, Rigatoni with Meat Sauce, Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce, Mom’s Lasagna with Marinara Sauce, Four-Cheese Ravioli, Pesto Alfredo Sauce” , Baked Ziti & Sausage. Entree options include: Chicken Parmesan, Chicken Piccata, Baked Eggplant Parmesan, and Parmesan-Crusted Tilapia.
- Third Course: Choose One Dessert – options include Chocolate Zuccotto Cake, New York Style Cheesecake, Tiramisu, Vera’s Lemon Cookies
Shamrock Pre-Race Dinner
We’ve gotten very, very positive comments about last year’s pre-race dinner at this venue. The food is off the charts and the ocean view is beautiful!
- Where: Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach – 3900 Atlantic Ave. Virginia Beach, VA 23451
- When: Saturday, March 19. Doors open at 3:45, Dinner is served from 4:00-6:00 PM.
- Price: $31 – INCLUDES TAX AND TIP and all event surcharges (room rental, etc).
- $15 for children 3-12 years old.
- Under the age of 2 eat free.
- There will also be a cash bar with beer, wine assorted sodas and bottled water.
The meal will be served buffet, all you can eat. The buffet will include:
- Caesar or Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- Minestrone Soup
- Garlic Bread Sticks
- Fettuccini Alfredo over pasta
- Spaghetti with either Marinara or Meat Sauce
- Tuscan Style Vegetables
- Tiramisu or Biscott
- Iced tea, lemonade, water, coffee.
- Look Ahead for this weekend’s activities 1/23 and 1/24
More information including any updates or changes, and detailed directions for weekend activities will be sent out in our weekend email. This email will be sent on Wed/Thurs of this week.
Weekend Poll: Please vote as soon as you have an idea of what you’d like to do. You do not have to be 100% sure. I’d rather you vote (with good intentions) and not show up than to “wait to vote” and hit the poll last second.
- Saturday Group Run @ Columbia Island Marina ”“ Start TBA (8 or 9, depending on distance). This run is on your right on as you head towards the airport on GW parkway. Just after passing the Memorial Bridge (on your left) the entrance to the marina/parking lot is on your right.
- Saturday Cycling Etiquette and Safety Clinic ”“ 12:00 at Coach Ed’s house
- Saturday HR Monitor and Other Tri Related Technology Clinic ”“ 1:00 PM on Saturday at Coach Ed’s house.
- Saturday New Z HH and Team Z Meet/Greet ”“ Coach Ed’s house (2:30 PM). All Zs welcome, not just the new kids. Love to have some vets out.
- Sunday Group Ride ”“ White’s Ferry ”“ Dickerson Maryland. 9:00 AM.
PS ”“ I have a plan for making my house a bit more accessible for the larger turnouts. Meaning ”“ seating for clinics. J We could have these in a meeting room but it is so sterile. I find more people come to my house than a random room. I find more people stay and talk ”“ I get to know folks. So when possible I’ll continue to have them at my place and just try to get better. Summers will be easy (outside).
For newer folks wondering ”“ I just got into this house a year ago. Until then I had 580 glorious and highly utilized square feet for my office, dog, kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, wife, bikes, laundry room. Yeah ”“ we rented sterile rooms for clinics in those days and I’m trying to stick with my new place as it is more accessible for people coming from Md/West and still pretty easy for Arlington. I just wish we had a metro. J
- Look Ahead for Next Week ”“ Recovery week, just to help with planning.
Next week begins with Monday the 15th. This will be a recovery week. Please make plans now ”“ especially for Monday AM Yoga.
- There is Yoga on Monday/6 am at Lyon Village in Arlington, Tues and Thurs at 6:30 PM in Reston at the Community Center, and Friday at Simon Says Yoga (close to N. Arlington, Md/DC line ”“ good location f or many).
- There are Social Runs on Monday – 6:15 at PRR Reston, 6:30 PM at PRR Arlington (post run grub tbd from run locations)
- Normal Swims on Tues/Thurs
- Wed (next week ”“ Jan 27) there will be one massive group happy hour ”“ We were snowed out last recovery week. So, we will again try the “Barrel & Bushel” which is inside the Hyatt Regency. This is a “one team” happy hour goal so plan ahead to leave work a few minutes early if you can. We’ll start at 5:15/5:30.
- This place was awesome ”“ but we need to get a hard core group there early to start landing some tables.
- Bring your skates if you want to show off”¦small rink right outside the window.
- Disney Medals still Expected, there will be wheel borough parking next to the table for those of you who completed Dopey.