February 2, 2015
The Week of February 2, 2015
Hi Folks ”“ I’m still trying to figure out all the little details in life. Since the whole wedding and honeymoon, its been hard to play catch up and find that “groove” again! Slowly but surely!
I’ve followed along and seen that some of our events have had great energy recently ”“ and then the reports on others are not so great. Let’s push through these grey and nasty days”¦we have limited time until we are outside with the sun on our backs. Make the most of the winter that you have remaining ”“ it will pay you back in spades when the weather takes a turn for the better. You’ll notice your dedication when your “absentee” buddies can’t seem to hang on through those gentle elevation gains on the bike. Well, for the out of shape ”“ it is more like a mountain than a gentle elevation gain! J
Here are some fast Facts.
- Pitchers and catchers report for spring training on Feb 19.
- MLB opening day is 9 weeks away.
- Charlottesville Marathon/half/8k is 9 weeks away. 4 of those are work weeks, 2 are recovery, 3 are taper.
- Shamrock and DC RNR are 5/6 weeks away. 2 work weeks, 3 taper weeks, 1 recovery week
- Ironman Md and Choo training plans start on week of April 6. You should be able to ride 50 miles EASILY by then. Run 7-8. That’s coming up fast”¦
- Our first triathlon of the season (Monticello Man) is 12 weeks away. Kinetic is 13 weeks.
Word. Listen folks, even 6 weeks provides you an opportunity to change your game. It’s not too late! Even with taper ”“ that’s not all “easy”. Recovery week training is also important, and will add tons of value towards your training and preparation for these races. General rule of thumb for coaches ”“ it takes a minimum of 6 weeks to see a physiological change to a “dose of exercise”. Get serious, get rid of the excuses right now. You have time to take your game to the next level before the spring hits. Even if it is not your best level”¦next level is always better than current level!
Please note the cycling technique clinic and maintenance clinic for this weekend. I will need 2-3 volunteers who are willing to bring their bikes (and shorts/shoes ”“ must have clipless pedals) (and a trainer if you have one) to the clinic. Consider it a private lesson. J Trust me, it does not hurt but I do need 2-3 volunteers for the technique clinic. For maintenance ”“ bring your front wheel only (and saddle bag/floor pump if you have one).
EMAIL ME PLEASE IF YOU’D LIKE TO VOLUNTEER AT THE CLINIC! Thank you!
Here we go”¦..
The week of Monday, November February 2, 2015 ”“ what’s happening with Team Z?
In this email:
- Important Announcements and Reminders for this week
- Overview of events and activities for this week
- Look ahead for the Weekend Events
Important Announcements and Reminders for this week
- Alexis and I are starting a new round of information sessions this week. The next start group is in late March. If you have someone that you’d like us to invite to an information sessions, please just shoot me an email and I’ll take care of them right away!
- This weekend’s group workouts have a few changes ”“ please see the plans below. Details to come out on Wed/Thursday.
- “The Cardio Docs Clinic ”“ Training Risks as we age” Clinic will be moved from Feb 14 to March 8 (2-4 PM). Location TBABelow are changes (errors) to the February training plans that were posted this weekend.
- Under 70.3 Track 4 MONDAY RUNS should read 70 minutes Z2 or MP. Except for Feb 23 ”“ that should be an easy 30 minute run Z2 (day after Red Nose Run).
- Under 70.3 Track 2 and 3 Monday Runs should read Run 50 minutes Z2, or 20’ LRP and 30’ MP. Except for Feb 23 ”“ that should be an easy 30 minute run Z2 (Day after Red Nose Run).
- Under 70.3 Track 4 RNR (Feb 22) Run Distance should be 10 miles.
- Under 70.3 Track 3 RNR (Feb 22) Run Distance should be 8 miles.
- Under 70.3 Track 2 RNR (Feb 22) Run Distance should be 8 miles.
- Under 70.3 Track 1 RNR (Feb 22) Run Dist ance should be 6 miles.
Link to all weekday and weekend Team Z group activities: here
Link to pool schedule via the Lane 4 Masters page: here
Link to Regular workout location directions: here
Overview of events and activities for this week
- Monday Swims Practices (Require “all swim pass”): Chinquapin Rec (Alexandria) @ 6-7:30 AM, Audrey Moore Rec (Annandale) @ 6:30-7:30 AM, Wakefield HS Pool (Arlington) @ 12:30-1:30 PM
- Monday Boot Camps: Lyon Village Community Center (Clarendon) @ 6-7:00 AM, City Sports (Silver Spring), 6-7:00 AM, Town Center Parking Garage (Reston) @ 7-8:00 PM
- Monday Group Runs: Freedom Plaza (DC) @ 12:15-1:00 PM, PRR (Reston Town Center) @ 6:00 PM, Woodside Park (Silver Spring) @ 6:00 PM, PRR (Arlington) @ 6:30 PM (with post run happies at The Green Turtle at 7:30 PM)
- Tuesday AM Swims: Spring Hill Rec Center (Tysons/Great Falls) @ 5:15-6:15 AM, Providence Rec (Falls Church) @5:30-6:30 AM, University of DC ”“ Vannes (DC) @ 6:00-7:00 AM, Chinquapin Rec (Alexandria) at 6-7:30 AM, Audrey Moore Rec Center (Annandale) 6:30-7:30 AM.
- Tuesday Lunch and PM Swims: Chinquapin Rec Center (Alexandria) 12:30-1:30 PM, American University (DC) 7:45-9:00 PM, Audrey Moore Rec (Annandale) 8-9:00 PM, Claude Moore Rec (8-9:00 PM), Stone Ridge School (Bethesda) 8-9:30 PM
- Tuesday Group Spins: Lyon Village (Arlington), Morse BAG (Alexandria), Bonzai Sports (Falls Church), Claude Moore Rec (Sterling), Fresh Bikes (Bethesda) ALL @ 6:30 -7:30 PM
- Wednesday Swim Practices (Require “all swim pass”): Chinquapin Rec (Alexandria) @ 6-7:30 AM, Audrey Moore Rec (Annandale) @ 6:30-7:30 AM, Wakefield HS Pool (Arlington) @ 12:30-1:30 PM
- Wednesday AM Track Practices: W&L High School (Arlington) or Coolidge High School (DC) @ 6-7:00 AM
- Wednesday PM Track Practices: Westfield High School 6-7 PM, Yorktown High School (Arlington), TC Williams High School (Alexandria), Bethesda Chevy Chase High School (Bethesda) all 6:30-7:30 PM
- Wednesday Boot Camps: Westfield High School 7-8 PM, Yorktown High School (Arlington), TC Williams High School (Alexandria), Bethesda Chevy Chase High School (Bethesda) all 7:30-8:30 PM
- Thursday AM Swims: Spring Hill Rec Center (Tysons/Great Falls) @ 5:15-6:15 AM, Providence Rec (Falls Church) @5:30-6:30 AM, University of DC ”“ Vannes (DC) @ 6:00-7:00 AM, Chinquapin Rec (Alexandria) at 6-7:30 AM, Audrey Moore Rec Center (Annandale) 6:30-7:30 AM.
- Thursday Lunch and PM Swims: Chinquapin Rec Center (Alexandria) 12:30-1:30 PM, American University (DC) 7:45-9:00 PM, Audrey Moore Rec (Annandale) 8-9:00 PM, Claude Moore Rec (8-9:00 PM), Stone Ridge School (Bethesda) 8-9:30 PM
- Friday Swim Practice (Requires “all swim pass): Chinquapin Rec (Alexandria) at 6-7:30 AM
Look Ahead for This Weekend’s Events
**Note: Subject to change and final details come out in the weekend email which is always published on Wed or Thur.
- Group Ride: W&OD Ride from Ashburn out to/towards Purcellville. 9 am start.
- Group Run: Algonkin Park (Trail Run). 9 am start.
- Clinic: Cycling Technique 3 to 4 PM. Arlington Oaks.
- Clinic: Bike Maintenance 4-5:30 PM. Arlington Oaks.
- Group Run: The EAC in Falls Church. 9 am start.